Friday, October 26, 2007

#23 Is this really the end? Or just the beginning ...

I've finished. Woo!

Reflections:
RSS rocks for work-purposes! I was never able to understand what it could really be used for or anything...I love it! I leave it open in a FireFox tab whilst I'm working and check it twice a day (or more if I'm a bit bored).

Blogging is interesting. I tried taking my blog a few different ways and someone had a criticism about each of them (one rather public one too). The only one that everyone seemed to like was me gossiping about myself and I'd run out of ideas too quickly...I'm just not that interesting (although I have to admit that yes, I am the father of Hooba-Jooba Spears, Britney and I did the deed and now I'm forced to pay maintenance to her even though she earns a squillion dollars and I am a public librarian). Honestly I don't think my blog will continue much longer after this program, I'll try...but I couldn't even keep a diary (and I've tried that too). Maybe I should set a time aside once per week to write what I've done and learnt, someone might care (or not).

I've also learnt that history is more interesting than blogs. Out of all the blogs I've read for this program, this is by far my favourite.

Criticisms:
The way that we ran the program left some staff disinterested. I know that we're only half way through the program currently, but there are a number of staff who have made their blog and nothing else (or not even made their blog). Finding time in each day to do the activities is very difficult. Personally I did a lot of the work and readings at home. I think it may have been better if we'd organised some 'groups' of people to go off-desk at the same time and do the activities together. This would have motivated people more and also stipulated a time where they could 'play'.

Part time library staff are also at a big disadvantage, it's difficult to do all of these activities in 15 minutes a day when you work 2 days per week and the entire shift is spent on the desk.

Congratulations:
I'd like to congratulate everyone who made this program possible, especially Helene Blowers for putting it together and Lynette Lewis for going through the 800 or so blogs each week. I'd also like to congratulate anyone who has attempted any of this, just think of all the things you've learnt!

5 comments:

MonzM says:
at: October 29, 2007 at 12:47 PM said...

You have to keep blogging...it is the only way I can keep up with all your goss...other than talking to you on the phone that is...:-)

Zoya says:
at: October 30, 2007 at 12:10 PM said...

Congratulations Christian

You must keep blogging and since its not work related anymore I want gossip Hee Hee

You're right about time. Unless people have home computers its difficult to do this at work.

Christian West says:
at: October 31, 2007 at 3:44 PM said...

Hmm, I finish this last week and I don't even get it listed as completed yet on the participants blog...darn it!

And goss Monz? But I'm not to do gossip anymore remember? Teehee.

Oh, and no goss for Zoya either...unless you want to give me some to type here?

C

I am not a Librarian says:
at: November 1, 2007 at 4:14 PM said...

Christian! At last I've found you! Hmmm, that sounds like something your evil patron would read in her Jackie Collins novels :o)
I've seen your comments popping up here and there and finally twigged how to find you. Nah, doesn't take this little black duck long, heh. "^ ^"
How's it all going? You certainly do have an interesting blog to read! Bit sad it's all over Red Rover, 'twas an interesting journey.
Anyway, just wanted to say hi,
Take care x

Sleeping puppies says:
at: November 9, 2007 at 3:28 PM said...

Hi Christian
Well, well now that you have completed your blog, you can start doing one for me. I am either too lazy, no time or too scared to try. Anyway, congratulations on the successful completion of your interesting blog - I enjoyed reading all your postings especially the gossip parts.