Monday, December 24, 2007

MySQL and Unicode (or the lack thereof)

AARGH! I have just spent an entire day reading about how to get my website to go from "Trang chủ" to "Trang chủ". Did you know that the version of MySQL that I'm using is non-Unicode compliant? I did, I discovered it last week. I thought that this wouldn't cause too much grief, a random tag here and there not changing or something. I didn't realise that it meant that I could not translate ANY frigging headings/labels/site names/etc. I've got NCRs all over the place (no, I don't know what NCR means, something character something probably, I just know that the ủ thing is an NCR, &# defines it's an NCR, the number is the actual unicode code for the letter and the ; closes it off).

Anyways, what I have to do is convert the entire database into a new format (a unicode compliant one) which sounds like it'll be a nightmare. I read quite a number of articles on how to do it and usually got stuck after it said "step one". Ah well.

On a lighter note, all of you who are using RSS feeds will have just been re-sent ALL of my blog posts. Why this is I do not know, but har har.

Happy Festivus all! It's the festival for the rest of us!

2 comments:

Zoya says:
at: January 7, 2008 at 9:33 PM said...

Now this stuff sounds pretty boring Christian now I know you are more interesting than this so come on entertain us. What have you been up to over the holidays? Me Ive been lazing on the beach cause I have ONE MONTH off hee hee jealous I thought so. Are you doin Learning 2.1 well I think you should be cause I am.

Christian West says:
at: January 8, 2008 at 10:18 AM said...

I'm not really doing Learning 2.1. I'm just using my blog to whinge about work. I should change the name to Christian's Whingey Blog hehe. If I find something interesting to say on here, I'll make sure I do though.

Grr to you having a month off :P
C